Monday, October 22, 2007

How to build a raised garden bed



This week, I received the raised bed corners for my vegetable garden that I purchased ($13 for 2 corners) on a gardening website. They are awesome! Especially for those short on time. Here is how I did it.

I went to Home Depot and searched for 2"x 10'x 12' cedar lumber to make 2- 4'x 4' beds. I wanted to stick with cedar, it's rot resistant and not treated ( don't want to eat termite treatment in my veggies!) However, cedar was available, but, not in 2" thickness. So, I opted for Pine, although it is a soft wood and susceptible to rot, I can treat it with non-toxic oil that can keep it fairly resistant. That will have to be another post though..this one is for finally building the boxes!

1. I got 3- 2"x 10"x 12' pieces of lumber ($10 ea.) and had them cut the boards into 4' pieces at the store, otherwise, I would have had 12' pieces of lumber hanging out of the back of my minivan on the way home. That was all I had to buy at Home Depot. The corner brackets came with all of the hardware that I needed.
2. At home, I laid out my boards on a flat concrete surface and began inserting the boards into the corners.
3. I drilled the screws to attach and secure the boards to the corner brackets and finally placed the end caps on all four corners.
The total time from laying out the boards, screwing them together and having my hubby help me carry the boxes into the garden area was about 1 hour and 15 minutes, and that is with my 3 year old hanging on my back to "help" me.


No comments: